Thursday, June 9, 2011

One Year Ago...

One year ago was a day that I loved and a day that I hated. The reason I hated that day was because I didn't get to see Patrick Kane score the overtime goal that won the Stanley Cup for the Blackhawks. 
I missed this all because of a basketball game. My mom forced me to go because I'm the best player on my team and it was an important game. She didn't think that it was an important night, I begged her to let me stay but in the end she forced me to go. I got to see the first two periods of the game. I had to leave for the third period and missed a lot. I did win the basketball game, but in the back of my mind I was wondering if the Blackhawks had won yet. As soon as the game was over I ran to my car and turned on ESPN Radio. They were playing the call and I still don't know if it was live or if they were playing it after the Hawks had already received the cup. The call confused me and I actually didn't think Kane scored. I thought that Leighton gave up the rebound and another Hawks player shot it in. I got home thinking that the Hawks had won, but a little confused. My dad, my brother, and I all cheered for awhile and I was home just in time to watch Jonathan Toews receive the cup. I saw Hossa lift the cup and I felt happy for him because I knew it probably hurt him to lose twice in a row. I watched the celebration in awe and was so happy. 

I didn't get to see the Blackhawks actually win the cup, but I still felt the joy that other Blackhawks fans around the world felt. I will never forget that day. I will regret not seeing that goal live for the rest of my life, but hopefully I get to see a few more cup wins before I die. Those wins in the future will never be the same and I'll never have the same experience that other Blackhawks fans have had, but I am still a die-hard fan who will be cheering for the Blackhawks the rest of my life and I still get chills when I watch Kane score that goal. I can't imagine what I would've done if I was actually watching the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment