Sunday, April 24, 2011

NOTHING BETTER

This game was so many different things to me. It was frustrating, agonizing, heartbreaking, painful, and most of all it was AMAZING. It's going to be hard to write this whole thing without keyboard smashing at least 20 times, but I will do my best.

Game Overview

1st Period- The beginning of the game sent the worst message to me. I went into this game knowing that if Vancouver got a lead and stuck with it for awhile, the Blackhawks' season would be over. The Canucks scored right out of the gate, and I immediately knew this game was going to be close and I would probably die before the end of the game. The Hawks got into their rhythm a little better and started playing good hockey. The one line that has been performing well lately got the first goal for the Hawks. Bolland hit a Canuck extremely hard causing choas and a Bickell goal. The Canucks ended up scoring in the final minute of the period and we went into the locker room trailing.

2nd Period- The Hawks came out well in the second period, but could not catch a break. They ended up getting a 5-3 for about 1:30 and could not score off of it. They didn't pass the puck well all night on the power play and didn't score any power play goals. Later in the period, there was some sweet puck sharing and the puck was passed to an open Bolland who shot it right into the net.

3rd Period- Right out of the gate in the third period, the Canucks scored again. It had me shaking my head and wanting the game to be over and next season to start. Then I said to myself, okay, there is still a ton of time to score a goal. Each minute that passed made the tension worse and pushed my heart past the point of heart attack. Finally, Frolik was on a breakaway and the moment I saw him fall I was screaming, "PENALTY SHOT! PENALTY SHOT" He got one. I was begging God to let him make it just so the Hawks could live another day. He pulled a simple, but sick move and scored. He also injured Schneider in the process, perhaps changing the whole game. The replay of his shot made me want to be in a gay marriage with him, not even kidding. He got the puck up so nicely and clean AND injured their goalie. The Hawks had a chance to seal the deal, but they would NOT shoot the puck and so to overtime we went.

Overtime- This was one period where they actually came out from the start and played their game. They were playing good hockey for the first five minutes. Then, the Canucks got their turn. They were in the zone passing and shooting well and Corey came up HUGE. The Blackhawks could not clear the puck and are lucky to have such a great goaltender like Corey. In the last fiveish minutes of the game, the Blackhawks were making a good rush and Hossa shot the puck. The rebound went right to Ben Smith who snuck the puck right under Luongo's pads.

Final Thoughts
Perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment